Monday, August 25, 2008

Dye-licious

More about dyeing! Have you seen the sock blanks from Knit Picks? I don't know if there are any other suppliers out there, but i use the ones from Knit Picks. A sock blank is 100 grams of sock yarn, held two strands together, then machine knitted into a long rectangle. The object is to apply dye to the blank, then knit two socks at once from it.


WARNING! This is VERY addictive! While I was doing my first. I was already planning what else I could do with the second! (which means another knit picks order...)I used Sky Blue, Pink, Purple and yellow. I mixed my own green, since the only green I had was Spruce, and it was a little too dark. Here's how it came out:
If you go to http://www.knitpicks.com/, there is a great tutorial, with lots of sample sock blanks, and how they look knitted up into socks. The technique is the same as I described in my last post, only you're applying color to a knitted rectangle instead of a skein. This is SO much fun!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Your blog looks great! Since you moved here to get comments, I'm leaving you one!! I want to see that yarn made up. I think it will be awesome!! My blog is on blogspot too! Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Krystal said...

Love it! Looks great. The blog is pretty cool too! Yay! :)

knitasaur said...

Ooh, pretty! I can't to see it knit up--it's gonna look so cool!