Sunday, May 31, 2009

Graduation Quilts

If we are lucky, our lives are touched by special young people, and we take great joy in their accomplishments and achievements. There are also special landmarks in their lives -- one such being graduation from high school. It's the end of childhood, and the almost-beginning of their adulthood. Since I am a quilter, it's inevitable that I choose to commemorate these occasions with a quilt.

This year marks the end of my youngest daughter's high school experience. So of course she gets a quilt! Then there are two very good friends of hers that I love dearly -- they each need a quilt, too. And a very special young lady who lives across the street deserves one as well. And huzzah! I did it! Four quilts all ready for their recipients! Well, almost.....

The first one was for Becca. The color choice was extremely easy. Purple. Period. I came across a pattern for a flower design -- perfect for a scrappy purple quilt. Considering the fact that her family runs a greenhouse, this was a no brainer!



It was more of a challenge picking one for Chrissy. Chrissy is a bit of a tomboy, and is an artist and a science-brain, which is quite an interesting combination. I consulted my daughter Betsy (Chrissy is her friend, after all!) and we decided Blue was the color of choice. Betsy helped me pick out some fabric for the border, and we decided to keep it blue and white, also scrappy. I used a pattern from the book by Karla Alexander, ''New Cuts for New Quilts''. Her ''Stack the Deck'' method is a really fun technique to use, and makes an interesting scrap quilt. Here's Chrissy's quilt:



Elizabeth, the girl across the street was the third quilt, mainly because I couldn't settle on a pattern. I've know her since she was three years old! I had some pretty blue batik in a butterfly print, and opted for a simple star design...




And last, but certainly not least, my daughter Betsy's quilt! I asked her what color she wanted, and she chose a scrappy quilt, too. I asked her to pick the background color, and she chose a mustard-gold. I found the most perfect fabric -- it was a print that looked like a map. Just right for someone leaving home for college in the fall! I had help with this quilt -- it's a tradition in my quilt group to help each other when our kids graduate from high school. So everybody made some blocks and I put it all together. I just love the way it came out, and I hope she likes it, too.




9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Your quilts are beautiful and filled with love!!

SusanB-knits said...

Beautiful quilts! That is a nice tradition to make a quilt for a graduate.

Tash said...

Oh wow! I am in awe - each one is so beautiful and different. Love the way you tailored them to each recipient - I'm sure they will all treasure them as they go off on their new adventures.

Nano said...

Each one so beautiful. And not just works of art beautiful. The thought and love that went into each adds to their timeless beauty.

SARAH said...

These quilts are so gorgeous-how lovely for you to make each of these girls a family heirloom. They must feel very loved indeed!

rmsheffler said...

Absolutely beautiful -- amazing work!

Krystal said...

Wow Snapper they're so gorgeous! I think Betsy's is my favorite, but they're all awesome. Good job!!!

Nkcanada said...

They're pretty! I bet Becca loved that purple quilt! :D -Alex

smariek said...

Wow, all your quilts are beautiful! You put a lot of thought into designing them for each person.