Sunday, March 25, 2012

NEW IPad Cover Tutorial

I am the proud owner of a new IPad! I've lusted after one for a while, but finally took the plunge when the new ones came out. Of course, one needs accessories, and being the creative (and frugal) person I am, I decided to make a cover.

I did get a smart cover, which I really like. It protects and cushions the screen nicely. And it's even a pretty blue. I thought it would be good to have a simple envelope to slip it in for a little more protection if I put it in my purse or bag.

MATERIALS:
2 coordinating fat quarters for outer fabric and lining.
2 pieces of batting, about 13 " X 18 " each
Fusible interfacing for pen pocket, 10" X 2.5"

CUT:
12.5" X 17.5 " from outer and lining fabrics
10" X 2.5" for optional pen pocket, from outer fabric
10" X 2.5" interfacing

INSTRUCTIONS: (all seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise stated)
1. Layer outer fabric over a piece of batting. Quilt together. I used a random pattern, but you can do whatever you like. Repeat with lining fabric and second piece of batting.


2. Trim quilted outer fabric to 11.25" X 16.5". On the corners, cut a small triangle off from the BATTING ONLY. This will reduce the bulk in the corners.



3. Trim quilted lining fabric a little smaller than the outer, to 11 1/8 " X 16 3/8". On the corners, cut a small triangle off from the BATTING ONLY. This will reduce the bulk in the corners.

4. Apply fusible interfacing to the WRONG side of the pocket fabric. Fold it in half lengthwise with right sides together (so it measures 5" X 2.5"), and sew down each of the long sides. Turn right side out and press.

5. Place the raw edge of the pocket on top of the outer fabric as shown in the picture. The right side of the pocket will be 3.25" in from the bottom right corner of the cover, and 3.25" up from the bottom. Stitch 1/4 inch from the raw edge through all layers.



6. Press pocket up, hiding the raw edge. Stitch around the three sides, close to the edge, reinforcing the top by sewing back and forth a few times.

7. Lay outer fabric over the lining, right sides together, and stitch around all sides, leaving a small opening to turn right sides out. I place this so it will be on the back side of the case.

8. After turning right sides out, press, press, press! You can sew the opening closed, but I just pressed this well, and sewed it when I sewed the case together.


9. Fold the case in half, and stitch the sides close to the edge through al layers.

I liked using batting on both the outer fabric and the lining, since it provides a little more cushioning. I used a cotton batting since it was what I had laying around. Pre-quilted fabric may work -- if you use fabric with only one side with fabric, you could do it like I did, but if you use stuff with fabric on both sides of the batting, you may have to fool around with binding.

You may decide you need a flap, or an elastic closure of some sort. You get to figure it out! I'm sure it will look fine and suit you, like mine suits me.

Happy Ipad-ing!

No comments: